Rules for Events on Public Property
All Events on Public Property Must Meet the Following Criteria (City Code 153.06(B)):
- Criteria for approval of special events on public property:
- Special events on public property must accomplish at least one of the following objectives:
- Have a positive impact on the quality of life for residents;
- Enhance the image of the city;
- Benefit the city financially; and
- Promote tourism or benefit the business community between September 10 and April 30.
- No special event on public property shall be approved if it will:
- Threaten the environment or endanger wildlife;
- Interfere with the public’s use of any street or the beach for more than half a block of the beach between May 1 and September 9;
- Involve a run or a race between May 1 and September 9; or
Trash and Recycling, City Code 153.03(8) and 153.06(L)
- The clean-up and removal of all trash and recycling is the sole responsibility of the event host. Events on public property are required to provide recycling or a suitable alternative. If City receptacles are needed, organizer will be charged for employee time.
- ALL VENDORS MUST HAVE BUSINESS LICENSE WITH THE CITY OF FOLLY BEACH
Insurance and High Risk Activities- City Code 153.06(K)
- A certificate of insurance naming Folly Beach as an additional insured must be provided 10 days prior to event. City Council has the discretion to designate other activities as “high-risk” and require insurance. Events that include amusement rides must also provide a copy of the inspection report from the South Carolina Office of Elevators and Amusement Rides. A municipal insurance program can be found here: TULIP Program
Alcohol – City Codes 111.04, 153.02(1), and 153.06(K)
- All events outside the Folly River Park or Community Center must have permission from City Council to possess alcohol on public property.
- Insurance is required for all events involving alcohol. A municipal insurance program can be found here: TULIP Program